Thursday 14 February 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day my lovelies!  I hope that your loved ones spoil you today, and every other day of the year for that matter ;)  I'm not really one for Valentine's Day because I believe that love should be shown every day of the year, not just one day because it's written on the calendar :)  Plus, stores take advantage of it and charge you an arm, a leg, and your first born (if you have children) for flowers, chocolates or jewellery.  I just want my chocolate at regular price, lol!

Last night I was on my SMYTC Facebook group and Kara from Never Gonna Give You Up said something to inspire this mani, so this is for you Kara!! <3





This is Gel II Blue Blue (gel polish) with Julep Carrie which I topped with pink flocking powder :D  This is the first time I have used flocking powder, and Kara sent the flocking powder to me :D  This mani is SO MUCH FUN!!!  And I love petting it ;)  I'm sure I look like a lunatic, haha!

Flocking powder is stupid easy to use :)  (I mean that in the best way possible by the way ;) )  First I poured some of the flocking powder onto a piece of printer paper so I could grab it easily when I was ready for it.  Then, I applied my polish (used a dotting tool for the heart and the polish brush for the French tips) one nail at a time, and before it dried I loaded my nail with the powder and lightly pressed down on it to secure it to the polish.  Then I lifted my finger and held it so it was pointing at my paper on the table and tapped it to get the excess off.  Now, with flocking powder, you can't top coat it or it won't be fluffy anymore (obviously :P ), so you have to be really careful so it doesn't smudge before it dries.  When it was dry, I took a fan brush from my nail art brush set and lightly brushed the flocking powder that didn't come off when I tapped the excess off my nail.

After I was done my nails I was thinking I should have done polka dots above the French tips and done those with flocking powder too, but I will definitely be going back and trying that very soon, I am seriously in love with the flocking powder/velvet/fluffy nails look!  I was skeptical about it when I first saw it, but now that I have tried it I have to say that I will definitely be using it again and again :)

Also, I have showered since doing this mani and while the flocking powder is still fluffy and pet-able, it's not as fluffy as it is in the pictures above - I took the pictures right after I was done my mani so I didn't ruin it, lol!  The only thing I don't really like is that you can't really use hand cream or cuticle oil while you are wearing this, so I don't think that it would be something I could wear for days at a time.  I'm sure I will be ready to have this off by tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest because I can already see bald spots on my French tips.

What do you think of flocking powder?  Have you tried it?  Were you like me and looked like a loony while petting your fluffy nails??

7 comments:

  1. I've never used flocking powder before, but I love how your nails turned out. Reminds me of cotton candy! I might have to buy some of this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with it :D
      If you do get some flocking powder, make sure you know how much you are getting - quantity-wise, not weight-wise. 1oz of flocking powder is a LOT, that's why Kara sent me some, she bought some not realizing how much it actually was going to be. If you can, buy it in a store so you can visualize how much it will be :)

      Delete
  2. Have been wanting to get flocking powder for a really long time and I guess it's time haha!:) love the heart super adorable!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so cool, and really easy to work with!! :D

      Delete
  3. I thought that polish looked like gel. That blue is just absolutely stunning and the flocking tips and heart in pink makes this a fun fuzzy vday mani :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue is perfect! I'm so glad I chose it as one of my colours to try out :D The flocking powder is definitely fun to try out :D

      Delete
  4. Great job, Erica! This is such a creative way to use the flocking powder! I love the heart, so cute :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.